Erectile dysfunction is not a joke. This condition is prevalent among older men, but it can affect any man, of any age.
There is an amazing variety of things that can cause or worsen ED. Some are physical, some are psychological. Others are diet or lifestyle choices.
The good news is that there are, at least in many cases, alternatives that your doctor can prescribe to get rid of your problem. In today’s article at HealthyBrags.com, we will talk about the different ways to get rid of erectile dysfunction and special precautions to get rid of it for good.
What You Will Learn
- 0.1 What is erectile dysfunction?
- 0.2 What Causes Erectile Dysfunction?
- 1 Ways to Get Rid of Erectile Dysfunction
- 2 Prevention
What is erectile dysfunction?
The term erectile dysfunction (ED) comprises several disorders, from the curvature of the penis during erection or Peyronie’s disease to prolonged painful erection not associated with sexual desire or priapism and premature ejaculation. However, it is typically defined as the inability to achieve an adequate erection to maintain satisfactory sexual activity.
About 5% among men 40 years of age and between 15 and 25% of men 60 years of age experience ED. This increase has been gradual, probably to the extent that effective treatments such as mechanical vacuum instruments or injectable drugs have been available and the public discussion of ED has been accepted. Perhaps the most publicized breakthrough has been the introduction in 1988 of sildenafil citrate (Viagra), an oral drug for the treatment of ED.
What Causes Erectile Dysfunction?
Since an erection requires an accurate sequence of events, ED can occur when any of them is altered. The sequence goes through the nerve impulses of the brain, the spinal cord and the area around the penis and the response of the muscles, fibrous tissues, veins and arteries in the vicinity of the corpora cavernosa.
Here are some of the causes of erectile dysfunction.
Injury to nerves, arteries, smooth muscle, and fibrous tissue, often as a result of disease, is the most common cause of ED. Diseases such as diabetes, renal failure, chronic alcoholism, multiple sclerosis, arteriosclerosis, vascular diseases and neurological diseases are associated with approximately 70% of ED cases.
Also, surgery, particularly radical prostatectomy because of cancer, can damage the nerves and arteries in the area next to the penis and produce ED. Lesions in the penis, spinal cord, prostate, bladder and pelvis may end up producing ED due to damage to the nerves, smooth muscle, arteries and fibrous tissue of the corpora cavernosa.
The main psychological factors responsible for ED are stress, anxiety and fatigue. ED is an occasional undesirable effect of depression. Negative feelings towards the sexual partner, or expressed by the sexual partner, as resentment, hostility or lack of interest are also factors involved in the ED.
Along with these factors, feelings of guilt, depression, low self-esteem or fear of sexual failure cause between 10 and 20% of ED cases. Men with a physical cause responsible for ED often also experience the same types of psychological reactions: stress, anxiety and / or depression.
Other possible causes of ED are smoking, which affects blood flow in the veins and arteries, and hormonal disorders, such as testosterone deficiency.
In addition, many frequently prescribed medications can produce ED as a side effect, for example antihypertensives, antihistamines, antidepressants, tranquilizers, appetite suppressants and cimetidine. If a patient experiences an ED, they should inform their doctor about the medications they are taking.
Ways to Get Rid of Erectile Dysfunction
Most specialists agree to proceed with the least invasive treatments first. In the first place, it is necessary to consider the interruption of the use of drugs or drugs with harmful side effects. For example, some drugs against high blood pressure can cause problems with erection, so the doctor should, if possible, exchange them for another class of antihypertensive drugs.
Then, if indicated, psychotherapy and behavioral modification are considered in selected patients, followed by treatment with oral or injectable drugs, vacuum-producing instruments and surgically implantable prostheses. In some rare cases, surgery of the veins or arteries has to be considered.
Since ED should be treated based on the cause of the problem, here are the different ways to get rid of erectile dysfunction.
Specialists often employ psychological treatment with anxiety reduction techniques associated with sexual intercourse. If you think your erectile dysfunction is caused by psychological means, you need to use a program that can put you into a relaxing state, calm your anxiety and activate your imagination. One program that does this for you is Mental Impotence Healer. You can check out this program here.
Drugs for the treatment of ED can be administered orally, injected directly into the penis, applied on the skin or inserted into the urethra through the tip of the penis. Since our post focuses ways to get rid of erectile dysfunction other than viagra, we give you other alternatives.
Orally administrable treatments
VigRX Plus is among the latest and most popular treatments for ED available to be purchased online. It contains natural ingredients that produces same effects that a Viagra does. This is an all natural male enhancement pill said to help build sexual strength and stamina overtime and has been in the market for more than 17 years.
Since the mode of action of this pill is to increase blood flow to the penis, it is recommended for men who thinks that their ED is not caused by psychological means. You can learn more about this all-natural male enhancement pill here.
Many men get more powerful erections after injecting drugs into the penis, which act by increasing their blood content. Drugs such as prostaglandin E1 (alprostadil) dilate blood vessels and produce an erection in 5-20 minutes, which lasts about an hour. However, these drugs produce unwanted side effects, including a persistent erection, which is called priapism, and scarring, as well as hardening in the area of the injection. It is a costly treatment, which can be used in combination with other therapies in order to reduce costs.
If you have ever heard about stop smoking patches, ProEnhance is the version for erectile dysfunction. Anyone who does not want to take a pill or undergo surgery and injections may benefit with this type of treatment. This patch contains all the natural ingredients that a common male enhancement pill has and works effectively and almost immediately. You can learn more about this male enhancement patch here.
Inadequate amount of testosterone in the body is a lesser common cause of ED. A man can experience a decrease in testosterone due to an injury or infection to the testicles, chemotherapy, chronic kidney failure, and a lot more other reasons.
Oral testosterone is usually prescribed in some men with low levels of natural testosterone. However, it is often said not effective and may even cause liver damage.
There are two penis pumps that are being recognized nowadays due to their effectiveness in treating erectile dysfunction. These are:
- Hydromax by Bathmate: Penis pumps used to be kind of a taboo subject but after the invention of the Bathmate Hydropump they are becoming more and more mainstream. It works by helping blood fill and circulate in the chambers of the penis and mimics the natural effect of an erection. A recent survey also showed that 76% of men who used this penis pump showed an increase in the size of their penis, in both length and girth. You can learn more about this penis pump by clicking here.
- Phallosan Forte: Reports have been received that the use of this device has resulted to positive effects on men with slight ED. What Phallosan does is that it increases blood flow to the penis, in particular, in the corpus cavernosum. Physicians guarantee that this penis pump will work and recommend this to men with slight erectile dysfunction. You can learn more about this device by going here.
Implantable instruments or prostheses can restore erection in some men with ED. Among the problems of the prosthesis are the mechanical breakdown and infections, although mechanical problems have decreased a lot in recent years thanks to technological advances.
- The malleable implants typically consist of a pair of poles silicone or polyurethane surgically inserted inside the corpora cavernosa. The user manually adjusts the position of the penis and at the same time, that of the cylinders.
- The inflatable implants consist of a pair of cylinders that are surgically inserted into the penis and swellable by a pressurized liquid. A tube connects the cylinders to the pump which is implanted surgically and to the fluid reservoir. By pressing a small pump located under the scrotum, the patient can inflate the cylinders. These implants can slightly increase the diameter and length of the penis. They also leave the penis in a more natural state when it is not swollen.
- The arterial surgery can reduce ED produced by an obstruction blocking the blood flow. The best candidates for this surgery are young men with a discrete blockage in an artery because of a crotch injury or a fracture of the pelvis. The procedure is less effective in older men with more generalized block.
- The vein surgery to drain blood from the penis usually involves an opposite procedure, the intended block. Blocking the veins with the ligature technique can prevent blood drainage that reduces the stiffness of the penis during erection. However, experts doubt the long-term effectiveness of this procedure and it is rarely done at present.
- Rosemary tea with ginko biloba and catuaba or natural syrup prepared with honey, guarana and ginseng are some examples of excellent home and natural remedies that can be used to treat male sexual impotence. You can also see more natural remedies for ED on our old post here.
- In addition to the natural options mentioned, there are juices with aphrodisiac properties and other medicinal plants such as Yohimbe, which can be used in the treatment of this problem.
- Men can improve and even reverse erectile dysfunction by making simple changes in their lifestyle such as losing extra weight and quitting smoking, which also boost overall health and reduce the chances of developing diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
There are a lot of natural remedies for erectile dysfunction but NOT all of them are effective. One guide that busts all the myths and lies regarding the treatment of erectile dysfunction is ED Reverser. Though you may want to try the other methods above, I suggest you to read this guide because you will learn a lot from it regarding your condition.
While most men will experience episodes of erectile dysfunction occasionally, the following recommendations reduce the likelihood of their appearance:
- Limit or avoid the consumption of alcohol and drugs.
- Give up smoking.
- Exercise regularly.
- Reduce stress.
- Sleep enough.
- Treat anxiety and depression
- Visit the doctor regularly.
ED, regardless of whether it is caused by physical or psychological factors or a combination of both, can become a source of mental and emotional stress for both men and their partners.
If you only experience an occasional episode of ED, you have to try not to believe that you have a permanent problem or think that it will inevitably happen again during the next sexual relationship.
An episode of erectile dysfunction should not be seen as a health problem or an affront to the manhood and masculinity of the sufferer. Remember, there are a lot of ways to get rid of erectile dysfunction. You just need to take action.