“How to start getting fit after 40″ generally seems a discouraging task. But this mission is not impossible. This is the stage of life where there is maximum responsibility.
Also at this time, people become prone to various diseases. It takes little effort and some precautions to lose weight at this point.
If you are over 40 and have a strong desire to lose weight, you are in the right place. We will discuss some fantastic ways on how to start getting fit after 40 and feel half your age.
How To Start Getting Fit After 40
When your body is in its forties, it is not the same body as when you were in your teens and twenties. Things begin to deteriorate little by little.
Back then, getting rid of any excess weight was just a matter of a few extra exercises and that was the end of the problem. Now, it is very much different.
Your metabolism slowed down and will get slower as you get older. It becomes more difficult for you to filter out excess fat and protein and eject them, and the result is more fat being fixed on areas like hips, thighs and belly.
If you are to reverse this process, you need to pay attention to a number of pitfalls if you are to select the weight loss plan that suits you. Below you will find some exercises on how to start getting fit after 40 that targets your metabolic rate.
Three Types Of Exercise That Can Increase The Metabolic Rate
- Aerobic Exercises: Even if you are older than 40, you can do all types of aerobic exercises. Popular aerobic activities for fat loss are walking, jogging, swimming and running.
- Anaerobic Exercise: This type of exercise is not so popular but it is the one which provides energy at a high rate even after only a dozen reps. Popular examples for this kind of workout are squats, sit-ups, and pull-ups. Old School New Body discusses more about this in detail.
- Stretching Exercise: Yoga is a popular form of stretching that is very good and very popular for people not only in the 40+ age group but also for the younger ones as well.
Healthy Eating Tips For Men and Women Over 40
One of the keys to losing weight at this age is to eat healthy. This means no more packaged or processed foods. Fruits, vegetables and whole grain foods should be on the menu rather than fats and sweets.
Eating smaller portions more frequently throughout the day keeps your metabolism running and aids in burning fat faster. This prevents you from being tempted to “taste” on the wrong foods or eat large meals.
However, you must not assimilate healthy eating and suffer from hunger because of a dieting. At this age, or at any age for that matter, fasting as a form of weight loss diet is not going to work.
“No eating” or skipping meals work not only against accelerating your metabolism, it is very dangerous too.
How To Start Getting Fit After 40 Through Diet
- Eat 5 small meals a day. This keeps your metabolism going.
- Add spices that boosts metabolism to your meals such as Chili powder, garlic, ginger, cinnamon.
- Cut caffeine like coffee and tea, and drink green tea or herbal teas instead.
- Drink 6-8 glasses of water a day. Empty water toxins and keeps your metabolism going.
- A good breakfast in the morning is essential every day.
- It is never too late to turn to fruits and vegetables that are low in calories but rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Grant snacks during the day, consisting of a fruit and a handful of oilseeds.
- During meals, also fill up with proteins and avoid salt, which promotes water retention.
- It is also advisable to avoid certain foods in the evening: starchy foods, sausages, dishes in sauce or fried foods.
Other Factors That Affect Losing Weight After 40
Most men and women over 40 hold executive or higher level positions at work. This can be good employer, constraints that do not bode well for those who want to lose weight.
Stress produces cortisol, the hormone that helps in weight gain. Therefore, you need to make a point to manage your daily stress.
If a one-hour massage, spa or yoga works for you, then relax by all means, engage in these. Taking the time off to indulge in a hot bath, watching a movie or winding up with a good book can do wonders to rejuvenate your body and mind.
Exercise, whether cardio, flexibility or body weight exercises, is a great stress-buster and indispensable on how to start getting fit after 40.
Getting enough sleep is also essential to any successful weight loss program for postmenopausal women. You will need to make a point to get the 8 hours of sleep each night.
Studies have shown that women over 40 who do not receive as many hours of sleep are overweight compared to those who do.
Some drinks have a calming effect on the body and help promote sleep in modest amounts. A perfect example for this is drinking an herbal tea 30 minutes before bed, especially tea containing valerian root or chamomile. Blueberry tea is also a natural sleep aid.
How About Your Face?
Add facial exercises to an already complete skin care regimen and you can increase the radiance of your skin, firm it up and give it a rebound effect.
This may seem like a lot, but just like improving your fitness and diet, healthier and firmer skin is obtained with dedication and patience, especially if you are trying to avoid needles and knives.
Wendy Wilken, facial toning practitioner and an expert in anti-aging skin care techniques and author of Facelift Without Surgery, designed a facial exercise routine exclusively for people age 30 years old and above.
“We usually detect a loss of muscle tone in this age group, which can result in sagging around the eyes, cheeks and jowls,” says Wendy. “These exercises help counteract this by strengthening the right muscles to raise, tone and sculpt these areas.”
How To Start Getting Fit After 40
For all the benefits, you have to pay the price. If you want to get rid of those extra pounds, you need to change your eating habits, not just for a few weeks, but over the rest of your life.
If your diet plan includes regular physical exercises (and it should), remember that you must maintain it for years to come, because if you do not, then you will soon have the same problem back.
Motivation is everything. Without the right attitude, weight loss is going to be impossible. You may not be as young as you once were, but you are not yet a senior citizen.
If you really want to throw off those how to start getting fit after 40 books, you have to be positive to make small daily changes to your lifestyle.
Eating healthy, sleeping well, reducing stress and living a more active life will do wonders to permanently keep the weight off. Plus, more energetic and lively years wear before you if you keep in shape now.
Steve and Becky Holman discusses how to start getting fit after 40 with proven methods in their book Old School New Body – The F4X Youth-Enhancing Bodyshaping System For Men and Women.