Fasting to lose weight is a popular practice that allows you to lose weight quickly. If we no longer eat to lose weight causes some debate among health professionals, we nevertheless find that the results are rather convincing on the healthy people.
Some experts believe that fasting is a natural technique that we should have continued to respect. Food abundant, full of sugar and fat is not natural and can be dangerous for health. Opinions differ, however, on fasting, as we shall see below.
What You Will Learn
- 1 Fasting to lose weight: complete or intermittent fasting?
- 2 When to start fasting to lose weight?
- 3 Precautions before you stop eating to lose weight
Why fasting makes it possible to lose weight quickly?
To function, our body transforms our food into an energetic substance called glycogen, which is located mainly in the liver (simplified explanation). It is this substance that we use to make the efforts necessary for our movements, our brain activity, all which is linked to our vital activity. When the stocks of glycogen are depleted, the body must find its energy somewhere to subsist. It is therefore used in the reserves of fat and also eliminates all the impurities and toxins that are detrimental to its proper functioning, what is more commonly called detox. It is by this double mechanism that no longer eating makes it possible to lose weight.
Who can fast to lose weight?
Fasting to lose weight is a technique offered to healthy people who wish to lose a few pounds. Overweight or obese people must avoid this kind of diet that will be absolutely not effective or even counterproductive. Indeed, fasting to lose weight could lead to a very important fatigue and a harmful yo-yo effect. People suffering from obesity may however turn to a method to lose weight permanently: See our Achievable Body Reviews.
Fasting to lose weight: complete or intermittent fasting?
Depending on the intensity and degree of involvement in fasting, there are different ways of not eating to lose weight.
Some people choose full fasting. Only in training or in clinics, they follow a strict diet for several days. Generally, complete fasting to lose weight lasts from 3 to 7 days depending on the program chosen. This technique is reserved for those who are accustomed to fasting intermittently.
Intermittent fasting, precisely, invites us to stop eating for several hours at regular intervals. This type of fasting is ideal in order to begin to no longer eat to lose weight more gently.
Different types of fasting to lose weight
- Fasting once a day per week: No eating for 24 hours to lose weight – Perfect to start losing weight gently, fasting 1 day a week is an excellent ally slimming. See The 3 Week Diet – our recommended guide for once a day fasting per week.
- Fasting 16 hours a day – Those who have succeeded in experiencing the 24-hour fast a week can increase their chances of losing weight by stopping eating 16 hours a day.
- Fasting for 3 days – Fasting to lose weight in 3 days is not given to everyone. Following this type of diet is reserved for people who have experience in the practice of fasting.
- An alternative to strict fasting, The 5: 2 diet – This native American diet is based on the idea that it must reduce its daily caloric intake by 25% to succeed in losing weight. The concept of this diet is not to follow a strict fast but rather to settle 500 calories 2 days per week and eat balanced the rest of the time. It is a light form of intermittent fasting.
- Nocturnal fasting: Do not eat at night to lose weight – Here is another variant of the fast of 16 hours a day. Just have a complete and balanced diet but do not eat at night.
Best times to fast
The fast must be followed in a calm and stress free period. People who are very active in their work, have dependent children, or who engage in intense sport should avoid fasting to lose weight.
Some formulas propose to combine hiking and fasting, it is imperative to be well informed before embarking on this kind of adventure.
Finally, if you are a couple, think of informing your spouse of your goal, fasting can indeed lead to some behavioral disorders (such as irritability for example).
When to start fasting to lose weight?
From a practical point of view, it is preferable to practice fasting on weekends or during holidays since one must try to limit his activities due to the loss of energy that this food restriction can cause.
The weekend is often the most suitable time to start a fast because combining work and fasting is not always obvious. Start your fasting to lose weight when you feel great. Do not hesitate to do blood tests before you start to check your health. Holidays are generally a particularly favorable time for fasting to lose weight.
People Favoring for Fasting to Lose Weight
They say fasting to lose weight is a quick and effective method provided you do not have any health problems before you start. Additionally, those who support the idea of not eating to lose weight advise fasting to detoxify the body, cleanse the liver and sometimes even repel the risk of cancer.
People unfavorable to fasting to lose weight
Most general practitioners are totally unfavorable to the idea of fasting to lose weight. The latter warn that the yo-yo effect is inevitable while they highlight the dangers of this practice on fragile people.
Precautions before you stop eating to lose weight
As with all diets, pregnant women, the elderly and children should avoid drastically changing their diet. In case of hypertension, diabetes and cardiac disorders, it is formally discouraged not to eat to lose weight. It is advisable to seek the advice of a health professional who knows you before undertaking strict fasting.
How To Lose Weight While Eating The Foods You Want?