What is the best way to quit drinking? If you have recognized that you have an addiction and have decided to stop drinking once and for all… Congratulations! You have already done the most important thing: recognize the problem and make a decision about it.
Alcoholism is surely the most difficult addiction to suppress. First of all because the withdrawal syndrome can even kill the person if it is not done in a controlled way, and secondly, because even once the person leaves the addiction and becomes abstinent, it is very easy to relapse because alcohol is a very accessible and cheap.
It takes a lot of willpower and a radical change in your lifestyle.
So, what is the best way to quit drinking alcohol? This article will show you how to stop alcohol cravings and the benefits of quitting drinking for good.
How to Stop Alcohol Cravings
The problem with alcohol cravings is that they can hit you out of nowhere. It does not matter if you are in a group of people who have a good time or alone, you will always be prone to cravings if you are an alcoholic.
The good news is that there are some things you can do to help you get over your cravings without drinking. The important thing is to remember that you cannot get drunk if you do not have a drink!
- Call someone in your support group. If you have been in treatment for alcoholism, you probably have also been directed to some 12-step meetings. In these meetings you will meet many other people who are going through the same thing as you. By picking up the phone and talking about your cravings, you may be able to avoid drinking a drink. Many times the person you are calling will come directly and sit with you until you feel stronger.
- Follow the 10-minute rule. There is a lot of research that suggests that cravings, whether for a particular food, drink or medication, will only last 10 minutes from start to finish. This means that if you can occupy your mind for 10 minutes with something that is not related to alcohol, you can overcome that craving.
- Get an additional therapy. While the best way to quit drinking is through drug and alcohol treatment centers, most of the time extensive therapy is needed to discover the root cause of the problem. Without addressing what started the downward spiral that takes you to where you are now, you cannot truly begin the healing process.
- Ask your doctor about medications to help control alcohol cravings. There are many pharmaceutical stop drinking pills that have been found effective enough to help alcoholics deal with their cravings. Some of the most common medications are Vivitrol, Campral and Naltrexone. If you have been suffering from intense cravings for drinking, talk to your doctor about these medications and ask if any of them may be an appropriate option for you.
- Remove alcohol from your home. In order to avoid temptation and relapse, do not store any bottle with alcohol content.
- Do some sports and activities. The practice of sports and activities or hobbies that you may like are of great help and support, help to keep the mind distracted and occupy part of the time, providing a good emotional, physical and well-being.
- Eat a balanced diet. Eating a balanced diet will provide us with things that are missing, a specialist in alcoholism can design a diet appropriate to your condition and condition. The best way to quit drinking is to drink lots of water which can help you feel better, be hydrated and eliminate toxins from your body.
- Get an adequate education on alcohol abuse. There are many classes available and a large amount of information online designed to educate the alcoholic about the disease and its many effects on the human mind and body. One of them is Alcohol Free Forever and you can read more about this book here. The more an alcoholic knows about what is happening with his disease and brain, the better armed he will be to handle his problem.
Best Way to Quit Drinking Naturally
While many people think that the best way to quit drinking is through the medical solutions available, others prefer natural cures, as they are more affordable and easy to apply without the help of anyone else.
The homemade remedies that are indicated are not miraculous recipes that will make you stop drinking from one day to the next, they can help a little to remove the anxiety to drink and help in the elimination of toxins from our body.
- Brewer’s yeast: In a fruit or vegetable juice add a tablespoon of brewer’s yeast. Drink two or three times a day. This remedy will help to detoxify the organism and thus collaborate in the hard task of leaving alcohol.
- Grapes: Perform a diet based on grapes for a month can be a useful remedy since this fruit is one of the bases to prepare certain alcohols which makes it an ideal substitute for alcohol. Take grapes 3 times a day.
- Apple: Take 2 or 3 apples a day will help detoxify the body, while its minerals and nutrients strengthen it.
- Infusions: Some infusions can help to inhibit the need to drink alcohol. A highly recommended is a mixture of one tablespoon of lime, one of basil, one of sage and another of boldo. Boil with water and let stand about five minutes, take three times a day.
- Clove: Sucking two cloves for a few minutes will help control the anxiety of having a drink, thanks to its strong flavor that can take away the desire to drink.
Best Way to Quit Drinking At Night
If you used to drink at night, your cravings would probably attack at that time and support groups might not be there to help. So, how to stop drinking alcohol every night? There are two ways that can help you get rid of alcohol even if you are all alone. Here is the best way to quit drinking at night:
- One of the best ways to get rid of your cravings at night is through hypnosis therapy. Hypnosis is a booming therapy, which more and more professionals use to treat psychological problems. This method can access the unconscious mind to change your way of thinking and prevent your brain from interpreting alcohol as something positive.
- Another way that can help you stop drinking at night is meditation. Meditation has been recognized before as a highly beneficial alternative for the treatment of anxiety and stress in the general population. Meditation helps people to become more aware of their impulses, which allows them to “bring the intention of return to the equation” instead of automatically responding by consuming alcohol to calm the desire.
What Happens When You Stop Drinking Alcohol For A Week?
The most immediate effect of excess alcohol is hangover, which can include sweating or tremors and, in severe cases, seizures. If the moderate drink is renounced, the body will begin to decrease the alcohol of the system, giving way to detoxification. The level of sugar in the blood will normalize, you will feel much more lucid, less depressed and with more money in your wallet.
Alcohol is usually accompanied by intermittent nights of sleep. After about seven days, your sleep patterns will improve. The dream will improve, since alcohol has a negative effect on it, especially because it forces you to wake up to go to the bathroom. On the other hand, since alcoholic beverages cause the body to lose fluids through sweating, you will be better hydrated.
Quit Drinking Benefits
An alcoholic person apart from generating serious damage to their health is also isolated from their loved ones. If you follow the steps above on the best way to quit drinking, you will be able to experience these benefits.
- You will have better cardiovascular health. While a glass of wine a day has a protective effect of the heart. When we increase this amount, the benefit gradually decreases and the risk increases. We find ourselves with hypertension, heart attacks, strokes, etc.
- You will have better gastric health. Apart from the side effects produced by alcoholic drinks (vomiting, reflux, etc.), we find other more serious diseases in the long term. The most typical are ulcers, fatty liver, pancreatitis and gastritis. If not detected in time the damage can be irreversible.
- Your senses will be sharpened. After leaving a habitual consumption you will observe an increase in the sense of taste and smell (you will also breathe better). In addition, your skin will look better and increase your resistance.
- You become more aware of your actions. Alcohol disinhibits the person who takes it, so consumers tend to behave in a violent way. The people affected are the people close to them. It also increases the likelihood of other acts of risk such as traffic accidents, risky sex and the consumption of other drugs.
- You have more money for your things. It may seem silly, but if you stop drinking your pocket will thank you.
- It will improve your mood. Although it seems that alcohol stimulates and encourages the person, in reality this effect is only a smokescreen that lasts only a short time. Actually, alcohol is a depressing drink. That explains that when we drink after a couple of hours our spirits go down.
- It will improve your body odor. People who drink regularly give off an “alcoholic fragrance” difficult to eliminate through the pores. It is difficult to notice because consumers get used to it.
- You will experience better sexual performance. Quitting drinking for good makes your relationships more satisfying and pleasant. You will not have altered hormones, in the case of women, and erectile dysfunction will not be a constant in men.
- You will lose weight. Alcohol has sugar, a lot, and the sodas that accompany it too. If you quit it for longer, you may begin to lose weight with little effort.
- You will avoid mental disorders. Alcohol affects the neurotransmitters of the brain. So if you stop drinking alcohol, you will avoid suffering from mental disorders such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and dementia.
Quitting Drinking For Good
Leaving alcohol is a good idea for health, but also arouses some fears. First, because it is the implicit acceptance that it is a vice to be eliminated and second, because it is not one more ingredient of the good life as we sometimes want to believe.
There could be no single and common causes for all people with drinking problems because the effects of alcohol vary from one individual to another at the same dose, intervening factors of biological, psychological, cultural, social, moral, etc.
Be it physical or psychological, we know that an addiction can be overcome. Millions of people have been helped in their recovery and many millions remain in recovery all their lives.
Best Way to Quit Drinking
Of all this, an alcoholic should understand clearly that alcoholism has a solution. The best way to quit drinking is to admit to yourself that you are an alcoholic and that you need to do something about it.
It can be a slow and heavy work, because changing a way of life maintained for so many years, can be difficult. However, in all cases, you must proceed to assess and compare the advantages and disadvantages that are obtained with quitting drinking for good, as well as the advantages and disadvantages that are achieved with the continued consumption of alcohol.
If you learn and follow the tips mentioned above, you should be able to experience the quit drinking benefits mentioned herein. You should start working as soon as possible to achieve that personal, family, social and work stability that has been so much desired and, what not, is still desired.
The desire for change is a desire for personal freedom. The best way to quit drinking is to learn what causes your desire to drink and educate yourself on ways on how to stop alcohol cravings.